Your healthcare news library

Posts tagged ‘Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam’

Subra: Dengue outbreak a tough fight

aedesdenggisubra1802

PETALING JAYA: The Health Ministry says it is facing a tough fight against dengue due to the aggressiveness of the disease.

“What we are seeing now is something very different from before, in terms of numbers and also the aggressiveness of the disease, and the aggressiveness on chance of mortality,” said Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam in an interview that was aired in Al-Jazeera yesterday.

He added that the effective management of the outbreak revolved around control as there was no effective treatment for dengue.

“This is unfortunate, as we don’t have a vaccine; we don’t have an effective anti-viral treatment for it.

“The entire management of dengue revolves around control,” said Subramaniam.

 

MIC Depety President and Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr.S.Subramaniam.(22/08/2013/S.S.KANESAN/The Star)

Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam

The Star recently reported that the current surge of dengue cases was the result of a change in variation of the dengue virus. It was reported that there was usually an outbreak whenever there was a change in the dengue virus serotype as fewer people would be immune to the serotype after the change.

The current serotype DEN-2, which was discovered some time mid-last year, is more virulent.

Dengue infections are caused by four closely related viruses, namely serotypes DEN-1, DEN-2, DEN-3 and DEN-4.

Deaths from dengue fever have nearly tripled this year. It was reported that 10,712 cases and 19 deaths had been reported up to Feb 6 compared to 2,836 cases and eight deaths over the same period last year.

Based on previous reports, Malaysia experienced its worst dengue outbreak in 2008 with 49,225 cases, while the highest death toll was in 2010 with 134 fatalities from 45,901 reported dengue cases.

The figures dropped in 2011 until last year when it began to increase again.

In Kuantan, Pahang health department director Datuk Dr Norhizan Ismail said the state recorded an upswing in dengue cases this year.

Until Feb 16, the number of cases were 165, an increase by 74 cases when compared to the same time period last year.

“Kuantan has the highest number with 104 cases, followed by Jerantut (15cases), Temerloh (14), Maran (10), Raub (six), Pekan (five), Bentong (three) and Rompin, Bera, Lipis and Cameron Highlands at two each,” he said in a statement yesterday.

Dr Norhizan said there were currently three active outbreak localities. They were Taman Balok Makmur in Kuantan; Taman Seri Kemuning in Temerloh and Felda Klau 1 in Raub.

via Subra: Dengue outbreak a tough fight – Nation | The Star Online.

Health Ministry lifts in-patient service suspension of NSCMH

n_p28hospital

SEREMBAN: The Negri Sembilan Chinese Maternity Hospital (NSCMH) Medical Centre is now back in full operation following the Health Ministry’s decision to lift the suspension of the hospital’s in-patient service effective today.

Its Management Committee president Datuk Lee Tian Hock said the suspension was lifted after the medical centre successfully procured the required six resident specialist doctors, ultimately ending a four-month conundrum the hospital faced for failing to comply with the Private Healthcare Facility Act 1998 in October last year.

“We have procured the required six resident specialists as per the ministry’s guidelines,” Lee, who took over the helm from Datuk Dr Nellie S.L. Tan-Wong last month, said yesterday during a press conference at NSCMH.

“NSCMH wishes to thank Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam, Director-general of health Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah, deputy director-general of health (medical) Datuk Dr S. Jeyaindran, hospital staff, and the public for their understanding and support,” he said.

Lee said the hospital also has an Accident and Emergency department which was open 24 hours.

“Our plan now is not to incur any more critical costs and we are committed in managing the medical centre as per guidelines of the ministry,” he said.

The debacle began when the hospital was ordered to suspend its in-patient services on Nov 21 following visits by ministry officials on Sept 4.

The ministry had twice issued show-cause letters, on Sept 18 and Oct 21 respectively, asking the hospital to provide detailed response regarding the remedial actions that had been taken.

This led the management of NSCMH to appeal to the ministry, with the medical centre doing its best to rectify the 10 areas of concerns listed by the ministry.

The suspension ended yesterday when Lee arrived at the hospital after obtaining an approval letter from the ministry in Putrajaya.

“The in-patient service is fully functional and we just received four in-house patients,” he said.

 One of the patients Yap Mei Kuan, who was warded for dengue, said all the hospitals in the town were full.

“I’m glad the in-patient service is operational. When I heard the news, I quickly came over here,” the 35-year-old told the New Straits Times.

 

 

via Health Ministry lifts in-patient service suspension of NSCMH – Latest – New Straits Times.

Tag Cloud